You’re thinking about becoming a member of A Cappella Texas! This is a big step in your musical life, we don’t want you to be intimidated by the process. We want you to succeed because singing with A Cappella Texas, both at rehearsals and at performances, are some of the greatest experiences of our lives.
Consider the audition process not as a test, but as free vocal lessons. We’ll listen to you sing, and then give you feedback that we hope will make you a better singer. We want everyone who has the ability to experience the joy of singing with A Cappella Texas.
The auditions and section placement will be conducted on Tuesday evenings, either before or after our 7pm rehearsal, at:
St. Paul’s Lutheran Church Fellowship Hall
3407 Red River Street
Austin, TX 78705
In order to become a member of the A Cappella Texas chorus, you will have to pass a three-phase audition process. We will have our Membership Director assign a mentor from your section to help guide you through the process. You’ll also be given a printed copy of our audition song and electronic access to our Groupanizer website to download the accompanying audio practice tracks.
- Keep attending and singing with us!
- Learn and memorize your part to the audition song, and practice singing it in a quartet. Your mentor can help you find the other three singers.
- Meanwhile, also prepare for the Performance Audition (Phase 2) described below.
- When you’re confident, let your mentor and the Membership team know you’d like to audition.
Phase 1 Audition: Music and Singing
- Candidates will audition in a quartet, with their section leader, VP of Music, Director, and Assistant Directors present. Music must be memorized.
- A successful audition includes: accurate notes, words, and rhythms; good intonation; consistent & free vocal tone; and an authentic expressive performance.
- The audition audience will give feedback, and the Candidate will return the following week to perform again, taking into consideration the feedback on the first performance.
Phase 2 Audition: Music, Singing, and Speaking
- Phase 2 of the audition consists of a second performance of the audition song, plus an opportunity to demonstrate your ability with public speaking.
- For the singing portion of Phase 2, candidates again perform in a quartet with music memorized so that the Music Team can see progress made between the first and second performances.
- The Speaking portion of Phase 2 is just our search for members who can potentially deliver introductions at shows. The candidate delivers a short (1-2 minutes) oral presentation of their choice. You should tell a personal story or read from a script or prepared text, with attention to your stage presence, vocal emphasis, inflection, facial and body language, and gestures.
Phase 3: Chorus Experience
- You’ll be announced to the chorus as having completed Phases 1 and 2.
- The chorus will be invited to submit feedback on what’s it’s been like to rehearse with you and get to know you on the risers, singing tags, etc.
- If this goes well, you’ll be a member of A Cappella Texas and your mentor will help you through becoming a member of the Austin chapter and a member of the Barbershop Harmony Society!