Austin has been home to a chapter of the Barbershop Harmony Society since 1961. The BHS brings men together in harmony and fellowship to enrich lives through singing. In the past four decades he Austin Chord Ranger Chorus and Quartets have performed around town thousands of times. Hundreds of local singers have joined in the fun as we have encouraged and preserved the uniquely American art form known as Barbershop Music. Now the Rangers have a new name and a new vision.
A Cappella Texas is the title we’ve chosen to reflect our vision, establishing ourselves as a dominant performance group in Austin and entertain audiences with world-class a cappella harmony. We will remain a chapter in the BHS but will add new and challenging a cappella arrangements from sources other than the barbershop world.
We have hired an enthusiastic director, raised the audition standards significantly, and committed ourselves to achieving top performance standards. Of course, the group will continue to support the Society’s education and philanthropic missions of providing camps, workshops, and music scholarships for America’s youth.
- If you want to sing four-part a cappella harmony in a top chorus or quartet
- If you want to memorize and perform ten to fifteen new songs each year
- If you want to enjoy the thrill of musical excellence
- If you want a rewarding musical experience
- If you want to make an impact in the Austin music scene
- Then come visit us